In our demon haunted world, it is not easy raising rational young individuals that regard things objectively. It gets harder when so many people in their lives, especially teachers, are bats in the belfry. A kid can have a hundred different teachers from kindergarten through high school. So if 20% believe in witchcraft, 20 of your child’s teachers are full-on “The Crucible“, or “Eastwick“.
We all know that teachers are people, and have the same drives, desires, beliefs and goals as most people. So let’s take a look at what “most people” statistically think about topics that are crazy. Pseudo-science, ghosts, magic and the supernatual. I looked at a bunch of recent surveys from reputable sources. When possible, I sorted by education and in most cases used “college grad” as a proxy for teachers. It is not crazy to watch out for your child’s education.
So, how insane is the person who is teaching your kid? (or if you are a teacher, how nuts are your co-workers?)
76% of teachers believe in God .
Well that seems like great news, right, that 24% of teachers are Atheists? Not so fast, Darwin. Of the self described non-religious, only a tiny fraction (well less than 2%) declare as atheist or agnostic. They rest are skeptical, or too cowardly to admit it, or have a trippy New Age belief. Source. In fact…
Your Teacher is twice as likely to worship something kooky than to be atheist.
There is a growing trend for Americans, even college educated ones, to take on non-traditional beliefs. There is a 1 in 50 chance your teacher is a: Scientologist, New Age, Eckankar, Wiccan, Pagan, Druid, Santerian, or Rastafarian. Really? Where are the Pastafarian teachers?!?
34% of Americans are “Born Again”
Holy S#%t! A full third of your teachers, neighbors, and politicians identify a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and all the jazz about scripture, the Devil, salvation, and evangelism. This will be slightly lower amongst college educated teachers, but not by much. Source. You are SO going to hell. Which brings us to evolution…
37% of your teachers are Christ on a dinosaur crazy.
That is Strict Creationism, as in God wholly made the world and humans in seven days sometime in the last 10,000 years. A whopping 79% think that God created the earth and has guided humans from creation (this includes the strict creationists). So this leaves only21% of college graduates think evolution (and not God) is responsible for the earth and humans. Source.
Granted, religion has lots of cultural and familial baggage, and perhaps people simply stick with what they were brought up in out of laziness or fear. But what about things where one can draw their own conclusions and use reason to decide without judgment (mortal or eternal).
This is where is gets REALLY KOOKY!
22% think vaccinations are harmful and avoid them. Businessweek
57% believe in ESP, telepathy, and other psychic powers. CBS News
3% are vegetarian, but thankfully only .5% are vegan, according to Vegetarian Times
20% of Americans say Socialism is superior to Capitalism
This is from a Rasmussen poll of all Americans. College educated teachers might have better or worse perspective. Then there is the fact that they are all in a union. I call it a wash and there is a 1 in 5 chance your kid’s teacher is a commie pinko.
20% of teachers believe Spiritual Energy emanates from physical objects like trees, mountains, and crystals
18% of college educated people believe in Astrology
11% fear evil spells, curses, and other dark magic
24% have been in touch with the dead
17% have consulted a fortune teller
These stats predict that one in five teachers are totally bananas! The numbers from Pew Research are for college grads, so they really ought to know better. I hope your teacher’s dead cat tells her to find an A+ for you in the crystal ball, or else fear the hex!
The educational system is a crapshoot all about the odds. There are perfect teachers that are rational and capitalist and are striving to help our kids reach their potential as individuals. But then there is the chance that your kid will get a magic practicing socialist “Born Again” bible thumping vegan who communes with ghosts. Where is the nearest homeschool?